When it comes to allergies, wood flooring is an ideal choice for those who are prone to different types of allergies. Carpets and rugs can often trap dirt and dust, leading to more severe allergy symptoms such as runny noses, sneezing, and even asthma attacks. Wood flooring is much easier to clean and maintain, helping reduce the risk of exposure to allergens.
Common Allergens Found in Carpets
Below are common allergens that thrive in carpets.
• Dust mites are tiny insects that can live in carpets. They feed on the dead skin cells that people shed naturally and can cause allergies when their waste is inhaled. Symptoms of an allergy to dust mites include a sore throat, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and itchy eyes. Asthma attacks may occur due to exposure to dust mites. People who suffer from allergies should take steps to reduce their exposure by switching from carpets to wood flooring.
• Pet dander is a term used to describe the tiny particles of skin, saliva, or fur that are shed by animals such as cats and dogs. These particles become airborne or trapped in carpets. Symptoms of an allergy to pet dander include sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and itchy eyes. Asthma attacks may occur due to exposure to pet dander. People who suffer from allergies should take steps to reduce their exposure by keeping pets out of the bedroom and keeping them clean and well-groomed. Vacuuming carpets regularly can also help reduce exposure but switching to wood flooring is a better long-term solution.
• Pollen is a fine powder released from flowers and plants during the growing season. It is carried by the wind and can be inhaled by people, leading to an allergic reaction in some individuals. Pollen can get trapped in carpets. Symptoms of pollen allergies include sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes or throat, and difficulty breathing. People who suffer from pollen allergies should take steps to reduce their exposure such as wearing a mask when outdoors and keeping windows closed during times when pollen levels are high. Wood floors help reduce exposure to pollen indoors.
• Mold can grow on carpets for several reasons such as high humidity, poor ventilation, and improper cleaning and maintenance. Carpeting provides a suitable environment for mold growth because it is composed of dense fibers which can trap moisture, providing the ideal growing conditions. By contrast, wood floors are not an ideal environment for mold growth as they tend to be drier and more slippery. To help prevent mold growth on carpets, it is important to keep humidity levels low in your home and maintain good ventilation. Regular cleaning and vacuuming will also help reduce the risk of mold growth. Removing carpets in humid regions, or if the home has a sauna or fish tank, will reduce the prevalence of mold.
• Insects can live in carpets. Carpet fibers and padding provide a damp, dark environment that is perfect for some insect species. Wood floors are better at reducing insects because wood floors are harder for insects to climb or penetrate than soft carpeting. Additionally, wood floors tend to be less of a food source for insects, as the wood can be kept cleaner from organic materials like pet sheds, dust mites, and dander.
Even More Advantages of Wood Flooring for Allergy Sufferers
Wood flooring is a great option for those suffering from allergies, as it offers several benefits over carpets and rugs. Here are some more of the advantages that wood flooring offers allergy sufferers:
• Easy to clean and maintain – Wood floors can easily be swept and mopped, removing any dirt or dust that may cause allergic reactions. This simple maintenance process helps reduce allergens in the home.
• Non-toxic materials – Hardwood is made out of natural materials that do not contain any toxic substances. This means that hardwood is generally non-allergenic, unlike most carpet materials.
• Low level of allergens – As wood floors do not hold onto dust, they typically have a very low level of allergen particles in the air compared to carpets.
• Discourages pests – Hardwood is not an ideal breeding ground for pests like mites, fleas, and other insects, which can sometimes trigger allergic reactions if left unattended.
Choose the Best Wood Flooring Specialist in Phoenix
Don’t suffer unnecessarily from allergies. When building a new home, or renovating or maintaining an existing one, choose wood flooring. Blackhawk Floors is here to help with many years of experience, outstanding hardwood products, and the best customer service.
Blackhawk Floors specializes in professional installations of top-quality hardwood floors in the Phoenix metro area. With more than a decade of experience, our staff is committed to providing outstanding service and competitive prices for all styles of hardwood flooring. We offer engineered hardwood, solid hardwood, and reclaimed wood.
Plus, if you or someone within your household has allergies, choose Blackhawk Floors! Our flooring solutions are perfect for those who suffer from asthma and other dust-related issues as well as pet dander sensitivity.
When it comes to beautiful homes with lovely wood accents, trust us for that job too. We will make sure everything looks faultless by combining traditional craftsmanship with modern technology and attention to detail. We understand that each homeowner’s needs are unique; therefore, we offer customized solutions tailored specifically to meet your style preferences and lifestyle requirements while pushing boundaries to create something extraordinary out of ordinary materials.
A healthier, lower-maintenance home environment starts with hardwood floors and hardwood accent walls. Take advantage of Blackhawk Floor’s expertise today by setting up an appointment for any of our services: installation, refinishing, recoating, deep cleaning, repair, and inspections.
Contact us today. We look forward to showing the difference hardwood from Blackhawk Floors can make in your home and for your health.